Thursday, November 04, 2010

Social Media: Can I Get A Patch?

Self help and support groups exist for just about every addiction and activity, why not social media? Like smokers, the first thing I would grab for in the morning was Twitter. Like and alcoholic, I would Tweet in bed till I fell asleep. I would reward myself after every activity with a check of Twitter on my iPhone. Are these not the actions of someone with a problem?

There is no patch or way to moderate so how do you solve the social media addiction? The short answer, I don't know. I searched the net for hours trying to find something to help me. The best I could find was "use in moderation". That's great for normal people. I can drink in moderation, I can even smoke in moderation but Twitter in moderation? Unless Michael Malone himself, comes out of the sky and limits my net access, I will be forever drawn to Twitter. Its my connection, its my world.

What I did to fight the social media addiction isn't for everybody but Im sure, like most things, it will get better over time. Account deletion. There is no turning back from account deletion. Twitter currently has no ability to restore old accounts. Once that small button is clicked, it's all gone, super quick and no fuss. Two years of friend finding, like sharing and rant posting, gone! Was it premature? I had planned on doing it on Saturday but a couple of things brought it forward and in the heat of the moment I sent that account into purgatory for all its sins..... I so want it back!

I wonder how @sach33's crochless pants are holding up in the heat? Did @kendylahlah's new fan help? Which young girl is @GeoffD710 being dirty with today? What is @miss_yolie wearing?

As you can see, nothing on Twitter is truly important but it's addictive. I wish I had some answers.

13 comments:

Joshua Withers from joshuadwithers.com said...

I contemplate deleting my social network accounts when I'm actually not really living in real life and my expectations of social networks becomes unreasonable and I become emo. We've all seen those posts from emoJosh.

This happens daily ... sigh.

Londonjustin said...

Sorry to see you've gone, but I understand why - hope you'll be back someday...

Nicole P said...

I will be your help in getting over your break-up from Twitter.....deal?

Anonymous said...

Maybe you need to talk to someone about your obviously addictive personality rather than blaming something that is supposed to be a little bit of fun?

Marcus said...

Oh, well, I'll just go sulk in the corner because I wasn't 'mentioned' in this post ;o).

Jason said...

I wonder what @marcusplatt is doing right now? Does he know I love him?

Good idea Nic, we are going to see so much of each other you will have to move house to get away :p

Betch said...

I think Anonymous doth protest too much...

SaChEe said...

MWWWWIIISSSHHH YYYAAAA!

Anonymous said...

I agree with what Anonymous said. Jaso, you need professional help. From a psych.

You can't blame your addictions on anything else but you.

I have battled with alcohol addiction over the years, I sought help and had the problem resolved.

Anonymous said...

Having an addictive personality CAN be a good thing. There is a flip side to everything.
You just have to figure out how to make it constructive ;)

Jason said...

My nameless friends, I though I was pretty clear in the first paragraph?

I didnt blame Twitter, I suggested its addictive and I quite clearly say I have a problem.

Marcus said...

YAY! Haha ;o). Everyone loves @marcusplatt ;o).

Hope you're having a good one!

Anonymous said...

Clearly Your Addiction to Social media still hasnt been resolved. If you felt that you needed to step away from it you would not be writing a blog or still have a facebook account.
People who have addiction to alcohol or cigarettes when needing to cease these addictions they tend to be proactive and take up new challenges in their lives ie : sport, book clubs, going out socially with friends and making time with their family and children a priority.
If you were to show true dedication to your deletion of social media you would close this blog and delete your facebook account.