Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Geostalker Media

I have been active on the net for almost half my life. I remember the early days when privacy was paramount. Google jaso32, the ‘handle’ I’ve had since 3 minutes after logging into the net, and you can search back years of Usenet trolling with fake email addresses and other similar methods to keep Jason and jaso32 separate.

Why is it now, a bit over a decade later, that we have lifted the curtain and reversed that trend so far the other way?

Far more prominent on Google than my attempts at keeping myself separate from jaso32 is that now jaso32 and Jason are one and the same. Google is generous enough to show you my whole life! My blog, my Facebook, Twitter, Formspring and most importantly Four Square.

Four Square is a relatively new geosocial networking site where you can record your activities. At the movies? Tell Four Square. On a boat? Tell Four Square. Four Square lets you record, in great detail, all your outdoor activities. Some other special features of Four Square let you share tips about venues and even offer reviews. Connect Four Square to Twitter and Facebook and you can share your adventures with an even bigger audience.

As a peer review application I love Four Square. Nothing makes me happier than warning people away from an awful Mcdonalds but Four Square has a much darker use, cyberstalking.

Initially I was a bit worried about the implications of posting my adventures but was quick to relax. I don’t know why I dismissed my worries so fast. Maybe it was the challenge of collecting Four Square badges, a method of retaining user interest, maybe it was the fun of social media. I don’t know why but like a million other Four Square users, I relaxed.

As an unemployed stay at home parent my routine is very open. I am rarely ever in the same place at the same time, unlike millions of worker. A few hours research into these people alarmed me. I noticed a few of these people regularly reported to Four Square their location and the awesomely stalkeriffic thing I noticed, they had patterns. I noticed one Twitter friend was always at the gym at the same time every day. Another was at a train station at the same time. The list grew. How easy would it be to follow one of these people, having never met them. A simple chat on Twitter could evolve into something similar to the plot of a Hollywood thriller.

It certainly appears that the trend for owning your internet persona is increasing but who is pushing the move? Four Square is only 16 months old yet internet giant Yahoo has offered $125 million dollars US to purchase the service. Why? Geosocial media offers a wealth of consumer information. Shopping trends, eating trends and even transport trends are all worth major money. Information gathered could help sell the next Coke product or the next war. Every dollar built off the concept of marketing your thoughts.

If geosocial media is so controlling why do I regularly contribute? Seriously, I don’t know. For me I suppose it’s a way to snark at life. Thanks to Four Square, I’m the ‘mayor‘ of crazy town. I dont take it seriously and try to have as much fun as possible. With all these things considered, my only genuine complaint is I dont get a slice of that multi million dollar pie! Find me on Four Square or check me out on Twitter. Come on, it’s fun!

Do you over share on the net?

No comments: