Thursday, June 10, 2004

The Clearing

Robert Redford and Willem Dafoe. Need I say anymore?

Wayne and Eileen Hayes (Redford, Mirren) appear to be living the American dream, until that dream becomes a living nightmare. A self-made tycoon, Wayne is seemingly invincible. But all illusions are shattered when he is kidnapped in broad daylight from their peaceful Pittsburgh estate. Under the microscope of a probing FBI investigation and her own painstaking introspection, Eileen too is a victim. Meanwhile, Wayne, with his fate resting in the hands of a kidnapper (Dafoe) who has nothing to lose and everything to gain, finds himself in the most important negotiation ever - for his life....

That's the Plot Summary from the official site. While corny, it doesn't turn me off seeing the film. The trailer only gives me a feeling that I have seen something like this before. I am worried about the quality of the direction. While the director, Pieter Jan Brugge, has been in the movie industry since 1987 this is his first time in the directors chair and I think it shows even in the trailer.

Also from the trailer I am a little unhappy with Robert Redford's performance but I know just being in the same shot as Dafoe will help Redford alot.

Over all I don't care one way or the other about 'The Clearing' and I don't think I will be going out of my way to see it. If there is nothing else on the shelf, I wont mind bringing this one home to watch.

"The Clearing' opens in the U.S on the 2nd of July and in Australia on the 26th of August

Also, If anyone has knows any upcoming films they would like me to mention here please drop a comment.

No comments: