Thursday, June 03, 2004

The real issues in the bush.

I have been watching the oil price debate rage on for as long as I remember. I can vaguely recollect my Dad bitching when the price for Leaded rose above 70 cents a litre. I thought it was time to let you in on the real problem facing rural Australia and its not oil prices.

In Esperance, my small town on the south coast of Western Australia, there is only one franchise pizza shop. I am sure that there is other mum and pop stores that sell pizza but they already have a reputation for expensive pizza. In Esperance Eagle Boys rule the school living by one rule, Fresha Pizza! In coming through with that promise (I can guarantee you that their pizza is no fresher then anyone else's), Eagle Boys have thrown caution to the wind with their outlandish prices.

$21.95 will get you two pizzas. OK, that's not too bad you say. Did I mention that was the pick up price. Not only that, its the coupon price! Don't forget you also have a $1.95 surcharge for chicken and seafood. On top of that there is a $1.25 surcharge for extra toppings on menu pizzas, 'Create your own' pizzas with more then 4 toppings and half and half pizzas. As a bonus you get another 10% surcharge if you order on a public holiday.

Want 3 pizzas? Don't have a car or are too drunk to get your pizza? Don't worry, there is a coupon for that. $37.95 will get you your 3 pizzas delivered to your door. Just don't forget all the surcharges and make sure you present your coupon!

After enduring through this trauma twice I have now resolved myself to buying frozen pizza from Woolies at half the price (more if you get your Eagle Boys delivered). If you ever venture out into the country I urge you to do the same.

No comments: