Thursday, June 03, 2004

Gay School Update

Play School attacked for gay mums
By Paul Osborne
June 3, 2004

GOVERNMENT ministers today blasted national broadcaster ABC for allowing popular children's show Play School to air the story of a girl going to the fair with her two mothers on Monday.

"I'm Brenna. That's me in the blue. My mums are taking me and my friend Meryn to an amusement park," the little girl says over images of her two mums smiling and waving.
Communications Minister Daryl Williams said he had indicated his concerns to ABC managing director Russell Balding and asked that they be passed on to the board.

"The government understands that parents would expect a program like Play School to deal with issues which are appropriate for the age of its audience," Mr Williams said.

"In particular, Australian parents should be able to choose when to explain concepts such as same-sex couples to their young children.

"Parents are in the best position to decide when their children are ready to learn about these issues."

Children's Minister Larry Anthony said he feared the ABC was becoming too politically correct.

"I think it's important for those program producers to ensure that they are not just responding to minorities," he said.

"I think Play School has been an excellent program but I wouldn't like to see it become politically correct."

ABC Children's Television head Claire Henderson said the Through The Windows segment of Play School reflected the variety of the contemporary world.

"Play School aims to reflect the diversity of Australian children, embracing all manner of race, religions and family situations," she said.

Ms Henderson said there had been segments on celebrating the Jewish holiday Chunakah (Hannukah), a Muslim family and a child as bridesmaid at her grandmother's wedding.

Australian Democrats senator Brian Greig said the ABC had a mandate to reflect modern life and culture.

"Gay and lesbian taxpayers, who pay their eight cents a day to the ABC, have a right to have their family structure seen in local content just like everybody else," he said.

"I would hate to see us turn the clock back to a time where minorities were censored from Australian television as Aborigines and Asians and people with disabilities were once excluded from representation on TV."

Health Minister Tony Abbott, who has three daughters aged 10, 12 and 14, said he would have been shocked to see such a storyline on the children's program.

"When I used to be watching children's television with my kids that kind of thing didn't seem to be part of it," he said.

"I must say I think that if I'd been watching it with my kids, I'd have been a bit shocked.

"My kids these days have different viewing habits."

AAP


This report appears on NEWS.com.au.


No comments: