Wednesday, June 09, 2004

Spider-Man 2

I have never been a fan of the Spider-Man series and the first installment of the latest Spider-Man franchise didn't do that much for me. It wasn't until I saw Spider-Man: The New Animated Series on DVD that I got onboard the Spider-Man wagon.

The animated series from MTV picked up where the first movie left off with Peter doing his thing. Over the course of the series, Spider-Man continually gets in Peter's way until Peter finally casts Spider-Man into the river where he hopes to never see him again.

After watching the trailer for Spider-Man 2 I think all is forgotten as Peter has the costume on again only to throw it away because MJ is getting married. The movie Peter isn't as careful as the animated series Peter because this time Peter throws Spider-Man into a bin with most of the suit hanging over the top.

Also, in the animated series we see Harry go along way in understanding Spider-Man and what he did to Harry's dad. The movie Harry seems to hate Spider-Man just as much as he did at the end of the first film.

While I think its good that people don't need to see the animated series to get the second film I would have liked them to honor it just a little bit.

In short, the second film has a long way to go if it wants to impress me. The animated series is the benchmark I have put up. Sam Raimi, you have been issued your challenge.

Spider-Man 2 is out in America on the 30th of June and in Australia on the 1st of July because of the time difference.

No comments: