Wednesday, June 02, 2004

Church of Fools

I am in no way a religious man but because of the hype I decided to visit the Church of Fools the other day. At first glance it is just one of those old virtual chat rooms from the late 90's but I believe that there is definite merit to the idea.

For starters they give the full on church experience with a service every Sunday night. If your lucky you can hear a sermon or two during the rest of the week. While its just another website, you feel the need to obey all the usual church rules.

Secondly its not bound by race. While it is run by the Methodist Church of Great Britain everybody seems to be made feel welcome. Besides it still offers the anonymity that the internet brings. Mind you I don't think anyone with strong religious faith directed else where are going to bother to visit.

All in all I think why not. It is a good idea and I'm glad a church had the guts to do it. Its currently two thirds of the way through its three month test and I urge anybody who hasn't been to check it out at least once. Keep in mind though that you are unlikely to be able to use all the churches features. The church only has the room for about 25 users and is currently handling about 41000 hits a day. This means that you can get into the church but you are invisible to everybody else. Unless your one of the lucky 25 but I don't think they ever leave.


1 comment:

Jason said...

Your not even the slightest bit curious?